The past week has had some crazy debates again about GPL, ethics, underhanded dealings and the like. I feel that there is no need to drag it all back up and if you want to go looking for those stories you are more than welcome to do so. I’d much rather point people to post that help people succeed like Your Best Possible Self Exercise or How to add WordPress SEO services to a maintenance package plan or 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do or even have a conversation about how Success is an Iceberg.
- Another day… another security vulnerability. You need to make sure you update your WordPress site to 4.2.3 because this update fixes a cross-site scripting vulnerability that was found that allowed a simple “subscriber” level user to create a draft through the Quick Draft meta box. This update also may require you to update your database. So before you do this make sure you have a good backup.
- With the upcoming release of WordPress 4.3 pushing ahead it might be important to know that the WordPress Customizer will now get its own Top-level menu in the Admin Bar.
- James Farmer (WPMU Dev) has written a long recap of the past 10 years that have made him into an “outcast” in the WordPress world. There are many lessons learned from his retrospective on things he may or may not have done wrong.
- Don’t miss some of the upcoming WordCamps:
- July 24-26th: WordCamp Milwaukee
- July 25-26th: WordCamp Asheville
- July 25-26th: WordCamp Kansai
- July 31st-August 2nd: WordCamp Fayetteville
- August 8th: BuddyCamp Brighton
- August 15th: WordCamp Russia
- August 15-16th: WordCamp Vancouver, BC
- August 28-29th: WordCamp Norrköping
- September 5-6th: WordCamp Croatia
- September 12-13th: WordCamp Krakow
- September 12th: WordCamp Baltimore
- September 12th: WordCamp Salt Lake City
- September 19-20th: WordCamp Vegas
- September 25-26th: WordCamp Rhode Island
- September 25-27th: WordCamp Tampa
- September 26-27th: WordCamp Los Angeles
- October 30th-November 1st: WordCamp NYC
WordPress Plugins and Code
- Congrats to our friends over at WebDevStudios for their Custom Post Type UI plugin that finally broke the one million installs. A very simple way to create a custom post type and taxonomy.
- For those needing a way to provide charts and diagrams the plugin DrawIt might be the answer. The plugin interfaces with the draw.io website to allow for creation of good looking diagrams that are saved as a PNG or SVG version to then be served to your WordPress site.
- So you want to build a local site and need a way to integrate with the powerful OpenWeatherMap API? Okay, here’s a plugin that will handle all your weather and forecasting needs.
Web Design Tips and Tricks
- TheNextWeb has a great article on the different ways to make money with WordPress.
- There is a new trend in web design… and that is the secret color GREY.
- Take a look at these nominees for best fonts for web design in 2015. Do you agree?